1. 疑问句：宾语 + had been doing + 其它
We had been studying.
They had been cooking.
We had been walking on the path when a deer crossed in front of us.
2. 连接词：宾语 + hadnt been doing + 其它
We had not been listening.
It had not been snowing.
Sarah hadn’t been attending class very often when the accident happened.
3. 通常问句：Had + 宾语 + been doing + 其它？
Had we been drinking?
Had they been eating?
Had she been speaking for a while when they showed up?
4. 特殊问句：What + had + 宾语 + been doing + 其它？
How long had you been waiting to get on the bus?
Where had you been working?
5. 被动语态（少见）：宾语 + had been being done + 其它
Chef Jason had been preparing the restaurants fantastic dinners for two years before he moved to Paris.
He was tired. He had been working since dawn.
The war had been going on for two years until they agreed on a ceasefire.
She couldnt understand him. She hadn’t been learning French long.
Sally told me shed been looking for her dog.
That was the letter she had been expecting.
I wanted to know what had been going on.
1. The boy was delighted with his new story book which he ________ for a long time.
A. was wanting
B. has wanted
C. has been wanting
D. had been wanting
2. It was midnight and he was tired because he ________since dawn.
A. was working
B. has worked
C. had been working
D. has been working
3. He ________ to get her on the phone, but he didnt get through it.
A. has tried
B. was trying
D. had been trying
4. He ________ the door and after that he had a drink at a small cafe.
A. was painting
B. has painted
C. had been painting
D. has been painting
5. His brother was good at playing table tennis. He ________ it since he was ten.
A. had played
C. had been playing
D. was playing
6. The man ________ there in the sun for a long time and got his face burnt.
A. has stood
B. was standing
C. had been standing
D. is standing
7. He said that he ________ the novel and had not finished it yet．
A. is writing
B. has written
D. had been writing
8. I asked where they ________ all these days.
A. have stayed
C. had been staying
D. were staying
9. It ________ for four days when we arrived, so the roads were very muddy.
A. was raining
B. would be raining
C. had been raining
D. has rained
10. He told us that he ________ there since 1982.
A. has been living
B. had been living
C. would have lived
D. was living
1—5 DCDCC 6—10 CDCCB